While diaper rash is pretty common, here are some tips to keep your little one’s bottom rash-free:
- Make sure you change your baby’s diaper as soon as possible after they become wet or soiled.
- Clean your baby’s genital area thoroughly after each bowel movement and allow the area to dry, being careful not to rub the skin too much or too harshly.
- Coat your baby’s bottom with a thin layer of protective ointment or petroleum jelly.
- When putting on a fresh diaper, don’t secure it too tightly, but rather allow some air to circulate.
- Try using diapers treated with petrolatum in the topsheet that touches your baby’s skin.
- Keep a close watch on the diaper area if your child is taking antibiotics or has diarrhea, and change diapers frequently.